25 Nov Black Friday offers plenty of wine options
It’s here. America’s day of thanks, and the eve of the largest shopping day of the year. How will you celebrate?
Are you heading out to shop after the big meal or getting up for the 2 a.m. doorbuster sales? If you aren’t nocturnal and don’t enjoy combat shopping, consider taking another approach to the weekend. Take a stroll through Yakima’s agricultural countryside for a relaxing wine weekend. You’ll still have access to some great Black Friday sales, less the chaos.
Thanksgiving in Wine Country showcases wines from nearly 50 Yakima Valley wineries, and for many it’s the last chance to taste before tasting rooms close for the season. Gather friends and family and make this your new holiday tradition.
And if you go, be sure to pick a Yakima Valley Winery Guide at your first stop. The magazine features a list of wineries and maps for each wine community throughout the Valley.
Here’s a brief roundup of what you can expect Friday through Sunday:
• Wilridge Vineyard, Winery and Distillery is featuring hot spiced Rachel red, newly released Rosé of Nebbiolo and Greenwald Viognier by the glass. Alan Greenwald of Greenwald vineyards will be playing acoustic guitar from 2-5 p.m. Saturday. What I Crave Food Truck will be on site all day Friday and Sunday and until 3 p.m. Saturday.
• Kana Winery will feature live music from 7-10 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
• If you’re looking for the perfect gift for that wine lover, or yourself, magnums (the extra-large bottle) are available at Owen Roe Winery.
• Paradisos del Sol Winery offers an under-35-calorie eight-course winemaker’s dinner for wine tasting. The plate has a tiny morsel of each food to help understand how it might fit on your table. Tastes include mushroom pâté, a vegan alternative to turkey dressing, a cranberry chipotle chutney for leftover turkey, and pumpkin pie for vegans and those allergic to dairy or eggs.
• Savor assorted chocolates and special holiday pricing on all wines at Tanjuli Winery. Stop in and make your own wreath on Saturday. Contact the winery for details and times for wreathmaking.
• Enjoy savory bites at Masset Winery and pizza from a wood-fired oven at Dineen Cellars on Saturday. Homemade tamales will also be available at Dineen Vineyards, Saturday only. Wine tasting and discounts will be offered from noon to 5 p.m. through the weekend.
• Two Mountain Winery will celebrate Thanksgiving with the release of the 2014 Vinho Vermehlo Port and a holiday gift pack of the Brothers Collection wines. All tasting fees collected during the weekend will be donated to Rod’s House.
• Yakima Valley Vintners will play off the Dickens holiday theme by tasting a Primitivo flight from three vintages: past, present and future.
• Milbrandt Vineyards is offering small-plate menus and a Black Friday blowout sale with discounts on half and full cases. Mix and match half cases or get a full case of your favorite wine at rock-bottom prices. Discounts are on both Milbrandt and Ryan Patrick wines.
• 14 Hands Winery is also offering Black Friday discounts, Saturday only. This is the perfect opportunity to find great deals on all 14 Hands wines. Black Friday specials are in-store only.
Benton City area
• Impress your friends and relatives with bottle-aged red wines from Sleeping Dog Wines for the holidays. The winery is selling 10-year-old bottle-aged merlot, syrah and malbec, all ready to drink at prices that don’t take a bite out of your wallet.