23 Jul Wine Clubs in the Yakima Valley
OWEN ROE WINERY:
1. How does your wine club work?
- We have three wine clubs – each one is a 15% discount and quarterly wine releases/parties. There are also levels within each club.
- Artisanal Select – Washington Red Wines – high-end, single vineyard, Washington red wines, 3 levels to chose from.
- Artisanal Select – Oregon Pinot Noir – high-end Pinot Noirs from the Willamette Valley, 3 levels to choose from.
- Ulster Army – This is a great introductory Wine Club to learn about our labels, stories of Owen Roe and taste wines from a mix of Oregon and Washington grapes, 2 levels to choose from.
2. How long have you had your wine club?
- We opened in 1999, so this is our 20th year as a winery but didn’t start our Wine Club until 2011.
3. What do you love most about your wine club?
- Sounds cheesy, but a lot of our members feel like family. Even the the ones I have never met but know by name/email conversations. So that’s my favorite part, and the wine of course!
4. What advice would you give a winery in starting and maintaining a wine club?
- If I could redo our wine club from the ground up I would say KEEP IT SIMPLE – “Limited options empower consumer to make a choice that suits them, while too many options will paralyze them into avoiding the choice altogether.” When maintaining a wine club it all boils down to customer service and the experience your wine club members are having, whether that be the member that receives shipments and has never been to the actual winery, or the members that are in the tasting room once a week, you have to stand out. There are too many wine clubs to just be mediocre. So go the extra mile, reach out to your club members, put on the extra event, and show them that they are a huge part of your winery’s success.
AIRFIELD ESTATES WINERY:
Shannen Dey is the DTC and wine club manager for the established winery and gives us a glimpse at the inside workings of their popular club.
How does your wine club work?
- Membership is free
- Purchase 2 cases (24 bottles) of wine per calendar year
- 20% discount on wine
- 15% discount on merchandise, select events, and private event rentals
- Tasting fee waived for club members and up to two guests per membership
- PICK-UP – Shop when you want! With this club option, you get the wines you choose when it’s most convenient for you.
- QUARTERLY SHIP – We will send you 6 bottles 4 times a year. We will email you our selections for the shipment, but all shipments are customizable.
- SEMIANNUAL SHIP – We will send you 12 bottles 2 times a year. We will email you our selections for the shipment, but all shipments are customizable.
2. What do you love most about your wine club?
- It’s 100% customizable
3. What advice would you give a winery in starting and maintaining a wine club?
- Be flexible
- Hire well for the club manager position
- Have fun with it!
Just like the bottles your winery produces your wine club will be different than your neighbors. It needs to fit your wine, your winery, and your customers. Here are other links to help you create the best possible wine club for you! Cheers!